Re: Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

Sorry for the interruption, but i just can't resist anymore.

hamish@debian.org (Hamish Moffatt) writes:

> Here's a serious question for you: which parts are too old on slink
> to perform the functions you need? Seriously?

Depends on the functions one needs. But i'd like to generalize a bit:
the included *apps* are far too old.  Stuff like teTeX, XEmacs and
GNOME and whatever [insert your favorite application here] comes to
mind...

> I only just upgraded two of my slink boxes to potato on the weekend,
> and it turns out that I didn't even need to. A friend of mine still
> has a hamm box; before that it was a rexx box. Works fine, no need to
> upgrade.

Somebody who still uses such old Debian releases probably won't use it
for anything else than mere server functions.  But i guess that a
majority of Linux users are using it for their desktop needs (like i
mainly do) and for those running current versions definitely makes
sense.  It all depends on the particular users perspective though
which might largely differ from a Debian *developer* mindset.

While potato is becoming finally ready for release i've already
installed [just a few] selected packages from woody because it is
simply more complete and up to date [in regard to upstream].  This
doesn't mean that potato is already too old but that the rest of the
application development world keeps evolving in a faster pace than
Debian.  Pure Linux users are therefore probably better off with one
of those .rpm based distributions, which seem to pay pay more
attention to average user's needs.  This is BTW why Linus himself is
so fond of Redhat and SuSE and supposedly one another detail why he
doesn't really like Debian (yes, he publically said).

Apart from all other Debian related benefits I for one use Debian
Linux mainly for the included *apps* and i wouldn't really bother
which Debian distribution version i use as long as the available
applications (this could be e.g. more current updates for an already
released stable Debian) are there to be dropped in without having to
upgrade a libc or any other crucial stuff as well.  But i'm getting
carried away...
                               Thank you, P. *8^)
--
   ------------ Paul Seelig <pseelig@mail.uni-mainz.de> -------------