RE: Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

From: Ron Farrer [mailto:rbf@farrer.net]
> > Slink is called `stable' for a reason. It's not obsolete
> > for people who just want a stable distribution.
> >
> > Of course, it is obsolete for people who want a nice GNOME
> > (or especially KDE) environment, or those who own Athlons or other
> > hardware the kernel provides, etc, etc.
> >
> > It seems that the number of those to whom slink is useful
> > outweighs the number of those to whom it isn't.
>
> I disagree! (surprise ;) I personally know of about ~4 people who were
> turned away from slink because GNOME and KDE were so OLD. I personally
> got around this by running potato (unstable then), but most
> people don't WANT to run unstable!

I'd argue that the issue is availability on CD. The biggest turn-off I can
see (particularly for people for whom net bandwidth is not a free resource)
is the "install stable and then upgrade" idea. Made worse by cases where
hardware is not supported on slink.

The person who reported being at a LUG where he couldn't install Debian on
someone's machine when the latest RH CD installed fine is a good example.
The person who owned that machine ended up with RH. And IMHO,
debian-unstable would have probably been better. Who lost out? Who cares?

Paul.