Re: Consistant Keyboard Configuration (was Re: Another packages wishlist)

On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 09:53:06PM +0100, Remco Blaakmeer wrote:
> I'd think so, yes. But on my system, HOME generates \E[H and END generates
> \E[F . This doesn't correspond with what terminfo says, so the HOME and
> END keys don't o what they're supposed to do.
>
> I have checked all files in /etc/X11/Xresources/, ~/.Xresources and the
> output of xrdb -query. Still, I can not find the reason for xterm to
> generate \E[H instead of \E[1~ when I press the HOME key. Can anybody
> help?

When researching this problem, I discovered the above as well.  Even
grepping the sources, I couldn't figure out where xterm dug up this \E[H
and \E[F business.  I couldn't find these strings hardcoded into a
translation table, and as far as I can tell DEC VT terminals never used
these sequences for anything.  (Well, \E[H is the sequence to "home" the
cursor, but that for sending *to* the terminal, not a sequence generated by
a keystroke -- the key home sequence has always been \E[1~ on VT
terminals.)

I've added the translation overrides back into /etc/X11/Xresources/xterm
for 3.3.6-5.  I'm very sorry about the confusion.  One of these days I'll
ask Tom Dickey why xterm has those defaults.  :)

--
G. Branden Robinson            |    "Why do we have to hide from the police,
Debian GNU/Linux               |    Daddy?"