Re: Consistant Keyboard Configuration (was Re: Another packages wishlist)

On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 09:53:06PM +0100, Remco Blaakmeer wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 02, 2000 at 06:34:10AM -0500, Branden Robinson was heard to say:
> > > Please ensure you're using the latest version of the xterm package before
> > > making this complaint.
>
> $ dpkg -s xterm | grep Version
> Version: 3.3.6-4

jules@pear [2] dpkg -l xterm                                            10:38PM
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
ii  xterm          3.3.6-4        X terminal emulator

jules@pear [3] infocmp xterm | egrep '(kbs|kdch)'                       10:40PM
        kbeg=\EOE, kbs=\177, kc1=\EOq, kc3=\EOs, kcub1=\EOD,
        kcud1=\EOB, kcuf1=\EOC, kcuu1=\EOA, kdch1=\E[3~,

Sorry to drag out your least favourite thread, Branden, but I've read
the FAQ, and it doesn't seem to be working. 'xev' confirms that delete
and backspace do the right thing, but xterm still thinks backspace is
^H, as does xemacs-run-in-an-xterm.

jules@pear [2] cat
^H^H^H

(That's the output of hitting backspace three times).

jules@pear [2] cat | od -a
^H^H^H
0000000  bs  bs  bs  nl
0000004

(These test both work in the linux console, incidentally)

jules@pear [4] cat /etc/X11/Xresources/xterm
! /etc/X11/Xresources/xterm

! Uncomment the following lines to make xterm appear much like a
virtual
! console, so that ANSI colors will make more sense.
! XTerm*background: black
! XTerm*foreground: gray90

! Make the backspace key generate ^? instead of ^H, per Debian
keyboard policy.
! Make the delete key generate ^[[3~ instead of ^?, per Debian
keyboard policy.
! Include override for BackSpace because older xterms do not
understand the
! backarrowKey resource.
*VT100.Translations: #override ~Meta <Key>BackSpace: string("\177")\n\
                               <Key>Delete: string("\033[3~")

jules@pear [7] xrdb -query -all

[nothing]

I'm at my wit's end here... any pointers?

--
Jules Bean                          |        Any sufficiently advanced
jules@{debian.org,jellybean.co.uk}  |  technology is indistinguishable