Re: Mail Virus Warning!

[Bugtraq moderator(s): please be aware that someone is using the Bugtraq list
for spam-generation purposes like the following; if this is grounds for
unsubscribing them, please do so.]

On Thu, Mar 02, 2000 at 01:02:00PM -0500, antivirus@www.404hosting.com wrote:
> Warning! A virus was found in a mail attachment sent by yourself. We have saved your email address and will be getting back to you at a later time, with authority involved.

If you people can't tell PGP/MIME attachments (RFC 2015) from viruses, then
you need to get out of the software business.  Now.

If you follow up with "authority" involved I will be forced to respond in a
formal manner to the libellous accusation you have made.

If your mail is meant to hawk the products mentioned in the URL's at its
conclusion, I must remind you that unsolicited commercial email is
forbidden in many jurisdictions, and I may be compelled to report you to an
"authority", such as the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.  Remove my email
address from any databases you maintain at once.

I also ask on behalf of Bugtraq subscribers and the community at large to
stop this harassment of its members; we are trying get to real work done,
namely the detection and rectification of actual or potential security
problems in commonly-deployed software.  If some of us choose to attach
digital signatures to our messages to establish their authenticity, that is
our right and you have no rational cause to antagonize people for doing so.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |    Men use thought only to justify their
Debian GNU/Linux               |    wrong doings, and speech only to conceal