Re: Packages removed from frozen

On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 01:14:02PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Rob" == Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> writes:
>
>  Rob> Is this really a release-critical bug?  It's just the nature of the
>  Rob> rscheme package.  You can't build rscheme unless rscheme is
>  Rob> installed.  That will probably be fixed in the future, but at most,
>  Rob> I'd think it's wishlist.  Further, the message that you get from
>  Rob> debian/rules when you try to build without rscheme installed should
>  Rob> explain why things failed.
>
>  Rob> Granted a Build-Depends would be better, and I'll add that, but I
>  Rob> don't see why this is release critical, or why it warrants removal.
>  Rob> I'm downgrading this to wishlist, and I think that rscheme should be
>  Rob> restored to frozen.
>
>         Could one reason be that it can't be built from source? I have
>  considered being able to build from sourfe an important feature (I
>  really envy the install .src.rpm in a standard place; and rebuild
>  as simply as rpm --rebuild feature of rpm)

The problem was not build-depends. The problem was that he had a specific
function being performed *in* debian/rules that checked the build-depends,
and failed to build if they were not met.

This caused problems however. Since he used dpkg --status to check if
rscheme-modules was installed. On my system, in in fact was not installed,
yet his check failed anyway. Why? Because rscheme-modules was not known to
the package system, since it had *never* been built. So, his check is
flawed.

He did add build depends, however he has not removed the flawed checks,
and so it still fails the build unless I manually edit the debian/rules
file. Hence, it is a bug.

`     bcollins@debian.org  --  bcollins@openldap.org  --  bmc@visi.net     '