Re: An advise how to apply for the TkMan author to change his license.

On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 08:26:15PM +0200, Shaul Karl wrote:
> TkMan is a graphical, hypertext manual page and Texinfo browser.
> Besides a no-warranty part, TkMan license says that
>
> 	Permission to incorporate this software into commercial products may
> 	be obtained from the Office of Technology Licensing, 2150 Shattuck
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> 	Avenue, Suite 510, Berkeley, CA  94704.
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^

> However the author (Tomas A. Phelps <phelps@ACM.org>) also writes that
>
> 	"... I hope CD-ROM distributors include it in their collections, which they
> 	can do for free."
>
> This made me think that the author considers the license to be too formal and
> not reflecting his true willingness to share his work with others. Does it
> make sense or is it that I am trying too hard to find a way to enable TkMan
> gets into main?

The way I read it, the rights are probably held by UC Berkeley. The license
probably was put on it by the college, and the author doesn't any power over
it except going to bug the lawyers and seeing if he can get a better license.
If you still want to approach him, you may want to assume that he knows
about free software and explain why it would be nice for it to be DFSG-free,
instead of trying to evangalize the GPL.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
Only a nerd would worry about wrong parentheses with