Re: I don't want to use xterm, why am I forced to use it any way?

On Fri, Feb 25, 2000 at 12:15:45PM +1100, Brendan O'Dea wrote:
> Hmm, a possible solution would be to make x-terminal-emulator a wrapper
> script rather than an alternatives symlink.
>
> A fairly basic script could translate xterm options to whatever was
> required for the selected emulator.  That way, menu.h and packages could
> treat `x-terminal-emulator' simply as they would xterm and it will work.
>
> This solution is also more flexible, as you could have a global
> selection of the default emulator in /etc/X11/something, and allow that
> to be overridden on a per-user basis.
>
> You could also allow args like `--for-Eterm=-O' which would be passed to
> Eterm, but ignored otherwise.

A sound idea, but right now it's vapor.

I might be willing to get behind such a thing once it's written and I can
see how well it works.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |
Debian GNU/Linux               |         kernel panic -- causal failure