Re: I don't want to use xterm, why am I forced to use it any way?

On Wed, Feb 23, 2000 at 03:19:37PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> Malcolm Parsons wrote:
> > The original post to this thread was about packages that start an xterm
> > are using the xterm program directly, instead of using
> > /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator.
>
> x-terminal-emulator is not yet an officially recognized virtual package.
> There is a policy amendment that is still in process to add it to the list.
> It is very unlikely packages are going to be converted to use such a thing
> in the middle of the freeze, and before it has been put into the virtual
> packages list.

Well, let's not exaggerate.

The policy in question was proposed Dec 29th.  It was duly seconded and no
one raised any objections.  Per the policy submission guidelines it became
an accepted amendment on January 12th, if I understand them correctly.

I know people have been been busy with other things, but the only reason
this ISN'T in the policy manual is because no one's had time to make a new
release of the policy manual.

I think treating the proposal as policy is duly warranted.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |
Debian GNU/Linux               |             If existence exists,