Re: package update lag on powerpc

On Sun, Feb 20, 2000 at 03:08:49PM -0800, C.M. Connelly wrote:

> Daniel,
>
>     DJ> I feel like I've answered this question a thousand
>     DJ> times....  There is a build daemon now, but only for
>     DJ> potato, and I do not have time to fix all of its failures
>     DJ> by hand.  There are also packages which build but present
>     DJ> warnings which indicate serious problems, and I mark to
>     DJ> look at later.  I've posted the list a few times.  No one
>     DJ> else seems quite inspired enough to look at them, either.
>
> I vaguely remember having seen such a list (on debian-powerpc, I'm
> not on debian-devel), but it was quite a while ago.
http://buildd.debian.org/quinn-diff/
not quite what you want, but it tells you which packages are outdated for
which architecture, pretty reliably.
For m68k we have a list with failed packages, I dont think it is publically
available, but most of the problems have been filed as bugs. Does not help
much though, when you hit an internal compiler error...

> at them and try to fix them -- one of the problems I've seen with
> a number of packages is that both the developers and the Debian
> maintainers live solely in the Intel world, where their packages
> compile perfectly, and tend to think you're crazy if you tell them
> otherwise.
well, not all maintainers are i386 only. I uploaded my first packages as
source and m68k binaries, it was interesting to see how long the other
buildds needed to catch up, I think powerpc was allways the fastest...

Christian.