Re: pty issues

On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 01:16:11PM -0500, Mark Mealman wrote:

> > you may run out of ptys...
> >
> > the number of ptys in the kernel could be increased but it requires
> > recompilation
> >

> Good thought. Had 256 set so I didn't think that was the problem.
>
> Got off my lazy arse and compared all my /dev's between the broken machine
> and one that works.
>
> For future mailing list searches if anyone else has this issue:
>
> /dev/ptmx needs to be set chmod a+rw for telentd to getpty
> /dev/tty* all need to a+rw for ssh to tunnel out.

do you mean /dev/ttyp* ? i have reset the perms on /dev/tty1-63 to
mode 0660 root.tty from 0666 root.tty because the old perms allowed
any user to run cat /dev/urandom > /dev/tty9 or whatever and make
horrendous noise on the physical console.  I have observed no ill
effects from this change... (ssh works fine both suid and non-suid)

--
Ethan Benson