Re: pty issues

On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 11:10:06AM -0600, Oleg Krivosheev wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Mark Mealman wrote:
>
> > Has anyone ever seen the below?
> >
> > -----------
> > cedar:~$ telnet localhost
> > Trying 127.0.0.1...
> > Connected to localhost.
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> > telnetd: getpty: Permission denied
> > .
> > Connection closed by foreign host.
> > cedar:~$ ssh oak
> > You have no controlling tty.  Cannot read passphrase.
> >
> > cedar:~$
> > ------------
> >
> > I can ssh/rsh in from a remote host fine, but telnets in and ssh's out give
> > me a tty error.
> >
> > I'm thinking I don't have a permission set correctly, but I'll be damned if
> > I know where.
> >
> > Been running the above for a couple months, not a critical thing, but it
> > bugs the heck outta me.
> >
> > I get the above errors from remote logins as well as the console.
> >
> > Anyone know what's going on?
> >
> > Would appreciate any clues.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Mark
> >

> you may run out of ptys...
>
> the number of ptys in the kernel could be increased but it requires
> recompilation

Good thought. Had 256 set so I didn't think that was the problem.

Got off my lazy arse and compared all my /dev's between the broken machine
and one that works.

For future mailing list searches if anyone else has this issue:

/dev/ptmx needs to be set chmod a+rw for telentd to getpty
/dev/tty* all need to a+rw for ssh to tunnel out.

I have no idea why my MAKEDEV didn't setup the above correctly. I'm using a
tweaked script somewhere that creates /dev/ida/c0d*p* for a Compaq Smart
Array controller and that may initially set the above devices up wrong.

Thanks,
-Mark