Re: we need more variation for conffiles

hi,

> > an other aproach would be to use diff3 on the current
> > conffile, conffile.dpkg-new and the new file from
> > the archive to patch it.
>
> conffile.dpkg-new == new file from the archive
of course you are right ;)

> However, except if the user as made a backup
> of the orig, the orig file no more exist.

that should be handled by dpkg

it should look if the old original conffile is available,
merge user + maintainer changes if possible
then store the new generated conffile and the new
original file on disk

location and naming scheme of these original files
could be something like <conffile>.original
or /var/lib/dpkg/original.conf/<package>/<conffile>

how hard whould this be?
(haven't had an insight look at dpkg yet)

but i really think this would help to make unattended
upgrades possible

--
CU,		  / Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen, Germany
Martin Waitz	//  [Tali on IRCnet]  [tali.home.pages.de] _________