Re: I don't want to use xterm, why am I forced to use it any way?

"Eric Weigel" <ericw@bestnet.org> wrote:

> Can I make a suggestion?

[...]

> Maybe there should be something called "sensible-xterm", which checks
> the environment for some variable, say XTERM or XTERMINAL, or invokes
> x-terminal-emulator if no environment variable is defined.
>
> That way, a user could set their preference in .gnomerc or some other
> startup file, "Run from terminal" could use sensible-xterm, etc.

This idea has been discussed on this list before.  After a long (and
painful) discussion, it was concluded that this was not a good idea.

> ps: is there a reason why the list does not have a "Reply-To:
> debian-devel@lists.debian.org" in the message headers?

You haven't been on this list long, have you?  This also has been
discussed (shouted, flamed, etc.) on this list to a great extent as
well.

Hmm ... Perhaps what this list need is a nice, big, fat FAQ list.

Brian