Re: I don't want to use xterm, why am I forced to use it any way?

Hi,

From: Paul Lowe <spazz@ulink.net>
Subject: Re: I don't want to use xterm, why am I forced to use it any way?
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 22:37:19 -0800

> > Japanese: kterm or krxvt (in rxvt-ml package)
> > Korean: hanterm
> > Thai: xiterm+thai
>
> Should the default terminal be a install time configurable option? For example,
> when you install xterm, it would ask you if you want to make it the default
> terminal, and when you install rxvt it would ask you if you want to make it the
> default terminal. All references to a terminal should be an x-terminal-emulator
> or some other. In this fashion, there is flexibility for terminals which support
> Japanese / Chinese / Korean characters.

This is already achieved using /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator.
However, this way determines a default terminal for the sites, not for
the users.

How should an administrator do of a machine which has, for example,
Japanese and Korean users?  The Japanese user will insist that the
default should be kterm and the Korean user will insist that hanterm
must be a default.

# IMHO, we will have to use international codeset such as UTF-8 or
# ISO2022 in future, because such way will not work for Japanese
# person who studies Korean.  (though we already have Mule)

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.or.jp>