Re: ITP: imultimouse (When NM Open)

Hi.

  at 17 Feb 00 16:49:08 GMT,
 branden@ecn.purdue.edu (Branden Robinson) writes:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 12:23:40PM +0900, Yasuhiro TAKE wrote:
> >
> > I intend to package imultimouse.
> >
> > iMultiMouse makes multiple mice look like a single mouse. You
> > know it's almost the same feature as gpm's -M mode.
>
> Uh, then why not just use gpm -M?

He is the current upstream maintainer of this imultimouse.
I think it is one of the reason for him to use it. :)

> If imultimouse does things that gpm doesn't, why not patch gpm to support
> what you need?

In according to the description, it has some nice feature to use
some USB mice on recent laptop. If gpm does not support that feature,
then sending the patch for gpm will be usefull, I think.
I don't know if gpm has already supported that feature, though.

# I don't use this imultimouse now and I don't know the feature in detail.
# I have used the previous (original) version "multimouse" in bo's era,
# and it serves well for me. The document said the original "multimouse"
# was sent to the SunSITE at Feb 09 1995. It is not the recent "fork".
# It has been used for years by many users.

Maybe a point to use this imultimouse in place of gpm is
that it has less features and size, I suppose.

While gpm has the option to disable the selection pasting ("-A"),
the code for this feature exists in it, and the extra command
"disable-paste" comes with it. The imultimouse just simply does not
have that feature, and has less codes.

In current version, imultimouse does not have the "special command"
 ("-S") feature of gpm. I don't know if the user of imultimouse
wish to add this feature on imultimouse.

Some user prefers the simple and small codes than the full-featured
complex and (relatively) big codes. I think it is good to provide
the options for our users.

  at 17 Feb 00 17:43:42 GMT,
 knghtbrd@debian.org (Joseph Carter) writes:

> Unfortunately, gpm does not support for example my rodent (thinkingmouse
> protocol), at least not if I want more than two buttons to actually do
> something.
>
> If imultimouse will do the same thing directly from X, it's kinda useful.
> (I'd rather have gpm support the thinkingmouse protocol, but I couldn't
> figure out the portion of the X source (3.3.5 at the time) that controls
> it.  Neither could Mercury, the protocol used is _strange_.

I checked the documents of imultimouse, but it may not support
that thinkingmouse protocol. It has just support for

    - Microsoft (and Logitech First Mouse)
    - MouseSystems
    - PS/2
    - BusMouse
    - MMSeries
    - Logitech

 (these are supported in original multimouse)
 and IntelliMouse PS/2 protocol (this is newly added at imultimouse).

Maybe xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/common/xf86_Mouse.c has
the code for ThinkingMouse protocol. At least the line 443, 562,
778, 819, and 937 will work as a hint, I think.

    $ pwd
   /Work/tmp/XF86_chk/3.3.5/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/common
    $
    $ grep thinkingmouse xf86_Config.h
     { THINKING,   "thinkingmouse" },
     { THINKINGPS2,"thinkingmouseps/2" },
    $
    $ grep -n THINK xf86_Mouse.c
   297:    { MOUSE_PROTO_THINK,            P_THINKING },
   443:      case P_THINKING:              /* ThinkingMouse */
   562:      case P_THINKINGPS2:   /* ThinkingMouse */
   778:    case P_THINKING:
   819:    case P_THINKING:        /* ThinkingMouse */
   937:    case P_THINKINGPS2:     /* ThinkingMouse PS/2 */

These are the source for 3.3.5, so maybe the line number is
different in 3.3.6 (the current).

> <Knghtbrd> JHM: I'm not putting quake in the kernel source
> <Knghtbrd> but we should put quake in the boot floppies to one-up
>            Caldera's tetris game..  ;>

He (Yasuhiro TAKE) maintains "xhangglider" (He is the original author
and the current maintainer), a kind of toy which makes some hanggliders
(and paragliders) to fly in the background of the X screen
(see <http://plaza.harmonix.ne.jp/~redstar/xhang-en.html>).

I suppose some of you will have interest in it.

Regards.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>