Report on Installing Debian from 'current' disks

it all went ok but there was something to say about.

i was about to install the base system, and it dared to give me a choice to install from network. ok, the idea was good.. BUT, it didn't know that i didn't have the network drivers! (as they don't come with the kernel, Doh!)
also.. after installing LILO, it gives the output in a 1 line high box, when it could be bigger...

one thing i'm missing is a 'clean' install which just gives me an options to select just the packages i need... (meaning, clean would deinstall everything and install base packages...)

also, thing i noticed here is, why does sysvinit depend on dpkg?

then again, thing we need is a package to depend in the system critical functions, such as init, dpkg and such... (now that i cleaned the system i need a function to make the system depend on the basic functions for booting...
- we could have virtual packages to provide functions such as debian-boot, debian-init and debian-login, and one package would depend on those. something like debian-base?

while continuing on installation i seemed to have forgotten libreadlineg2.. and it tried to remove it.. thus, ropeting an error about basename missing (missing dependancy somewhere?)

dpkg should depend on tar!

console-tools should depend on packages that provide sed, sort, tr, cat and fmt (textutils and sed are some packages that provide those) also i noticed that it depends on find.. but not there

postfix needs diff... for the startup scripts...

HAHA! this was unexpected... .bash_logout complains about not having clear... it should test for it before running it (it is autoinstalled so it is reasonable)

i'm not sure if Elvis-tiny should register itself to alternative for an editor.. but it doesn't....

ok, i'm done now... it has been some 4 hours since first boot.. finally getting the system the way i like it.. but now, it's time to go home.
hopefully this information is useful for the maintainers of mentioned packages, and the ideas here are thought about...

ps. this was an experimental setup, just to test on frozen.. please, think of it as one =)
--
Sami Haahtinen (ressu@uusikaupunki.fi)