Re: KDE not in Debian?

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 04:22:27PM -0500, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > > In these cases where there are grey areas, I wouldn't really trust our
> > > opinions to be all that valid.  Just as we might not trust a lawyer's
> > > advice on how to implement a technical issue, maybe we should consider
> > > having a lawyer looking at something that falls under their area of
> > > expertise before we go off half-cocked.
> >=20
> > Quite right.  I believe this step has already been taken.
>
> You wish.  =3D>
>
> RMS has commented on the opinions of the FSF lawyer(s), but that's the
> extent anyone has really looked into the matter other than individual
> dists asking their lawyers "will distributing this get us sued?"

So David Walton said "someone should ask a lawyer."

I said "I believe someone *has* asked a lawyer."

And you first: say "you wish" as if nobody had asked a lawyer, and
then second: describe what two different groups of lawyers said in
response to some questions on the subject.

As I said, someone has.

And the answer is:

1) Illegal
2) The KDE people probably won't sue.

Mind you, if they had taken *my* GPL'd code and were linking it with
QPL'd code, I very well might consider a lawsuit.

Thomas