Re: the danger of specialized Debian

Joseph Carter (knghtbrd@debian.org) wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 07:26:34PM -0500, Jacob Kuntz wrote:
> > i'm glad to see that people are interested in making linux availale to first
> > time computer users, k-12 schools, and people with disabilities. the
> > internet community as a whole needs more of this kind of initiative. i am
> > however concerened that if not properly organized, these projects may dilute
> > Debian's energy.
>
> fwiw, my work for making Debian more accessable to the blind (and people
> with other disabilities) will be in the form of a more generic way to feed
> input into and output from programs..  This has much more far-reaching
> effects than disability access.  I won't go into much detail here because
> I could spend hours on the details and I don't have the time.  If I ever
> had time to do most of this stuff, the results would be cool.  =>
>
> Probably my first goal is to try and get the necessary software into
> Debian.  Some of it (such as emacspeak) is already there.  To use some of
> the software in question though, I need some specialized hardware or a
> reasonable software emulation of it.  (I don't have a speech synthesizer
> for example..  The closest software that exists is festival which would be
> very hard to use as a primary output method.  Something more like a
> DECtalk is needed--the hardware version is something like $1200US!  The
> software version is not generally available yet.  (Compaq has a deal with
> Creative Labs to bundle a software version ofthis with certain
> products---if you've heard synthetic speech in mainstream products and
> services and it was not just words that were recorded, it was a DECtalk..
> They are very easy to understand.)

i've been playing with festival (and sphinx, the other direction) for a
while. about that detalk thing, i found a signifigantly cheaper (<$100)
solution. i'll see if i can find that link and sent it to you. IIRC it's
available as an isa add in board, serial board, or chip alone.

> But getting software packaged isn't the final step, it's only the first
> step.  We'd need a set of speech-enabled boot floppies.  It'd be good to
> have some nicely extendable and generic way to feed input into programs (I
> have talked with Alan Cox about a kernel-level solution to this before,
> mostly it's just been that I haven't had time to work on it..)

now there's the spirit! not a fork, but an included enhancment. maybe
someday we can forgo the non-spech enabled install dists. and (please please
please) maybe even replace xterm with something similar.

i digress. we should talk on this subject more later.

--
(jacob kuntz)                    jpk@cape.com jake@{megabite,underworld}.net
(megabite systems)     "think free speech, not free beer." (gnu foundataion)