Re: RFC: proposed changes to hwclock

On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 02:55:54PM -0200, Henrique M Holschuh wrote:
>   1.  Detect sign changes in the computed drift _when_in_CHANGE_DRIFT_mode_,
>       by comparing the new calculated value with the old one in
>       /etc/adjtime. ...

I don't see why this is necessary.  Surely modification 2 below would catch
everything this would catch, and this could be bad in some cases.  Imagine
that the RTC has no systematic drift, but is not quite consistent; then
hwclock would complain loudly about a clock that is more-or-less accurate.
Certainly the drift calculation would not be terribly useful in this case,
but there are plenty of other cases like that (whenever the drift varies too
much) and I don't see why you single out this case.

Also, should there be a limit on the absolute value of the drift as well?

Otherwise, looks good.

Best,
	Dylan Thurston