Re: Copyproblem on some fonts I intend to package

On Sat, 5 Feb 2000, Joey Hess wrote:

> joey@paper:/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi>zcat courB10.pcf.gz | strings
> |grep -i copy
> COPYRIGHT
> Copyright (c) 1984, 1987 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All Rights Reserved.
> Copyright (c) 1988, 1991 Digital Equipment Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
>
> Of course, this leads me to wonder if we have a copyright problem with some
> of the fonts, since many of them seem to have an "All Rights Reserved"
> license, which is 100% non-free. Branden?

You are asking an interesting question ;-)

Note, however, that 'All Rights Reserved' doesn't automatically mean
non-free.  It would in isolation, but sometimes it is then supplemented by
a license:

This email is (c) 2000 Jules Bean, all rights reserved.
Permission is hereby given to copy and modify without limitation or fee.

Jules