Re: Packages with documentation only in /usr/share/doc

On Sun, Feb 06, 2000 at 02:46:25AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Ben" == Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:
>
>  Ben> You know you caould avoid all of the problems by moving all of /usr/doc/*
>  Ben> to /usr/share/doc/* then "rmdir /usr/doc; ln -s share/doc /usr/doc".
>
>         Actually. no. See below why that is a bad idea.
>
>         I think one can indeed make the transition without dangling
>  links; I am enclosing a postinst below this message; please point out
>  errors and how it may fail.
>
>  Ben> Note, the latest dpkg in potato/woody works with this setup flawlessly, I
>  Ben> have 10 systems setup like this right now. This all thanks to the patch
>  Ben> that avoids the problems that brought about the whole symlink solution
>  Ben> (which should be dropped for woody, IMNHO).
>
>         And all package that move old contents of /usr/doc/$package_name/
>  to /usr/share/doc/$package_name/; and remove /usr/doc/$package_name/
>  would chew up your /usr/share/doc directory. Those packages would be
>  in strict conformace with policy.

As I told you on IRC, and just explained here again, the patch I made for
the current dpkg (as of 1.4.something) keeps this from happening. After
installing the new files, dpkg starts checking for old files to remove,
that are not referenced in the new package. If it checks
/usr/doc/<pkg>/changelog.gz, it will then run through the list of "new"
files and stat all of them check for a file that is the "same" (checking
st_dev and st_ino). If it matches one of the new files, it does not
delete.

This avoids the ENTIRE issue, and for woody, we need to remove this kludge
in this manner.

`     bcollins@debian.org  --  bcollins@openldap.org  --  bmc@visi.net     '