Re: Packages with documentation only in /usr/share/doc

In article <20000206000608.A6131@sindominio.net> you wrote:

> One question here: bind-doc installs the documentation in
> /usr/share/doc/bind, and Debian related docs (changelog.Debian and
> copyright) live in /usr/share/doc/bind-doc. This is not correct, isn't it?
> Just noticed this afternoon.=20

I did this intentionally.

I used to put the files in the bind-doc directory, and drop a symlink or three
in the bind directory pointing to them.  This was problematic to handle, and
I took bug reports over a couple of revisions about ways the system could end
up with dangling symlinks.  Concensus of the folks I talked to was that more
people would look first in the bind directory than in the bind-doc directory
to find the docs, so I put them there...

Thinking about it, a symlink in the /usr/share/doc/bind-doc directory pointing
to ../bind would probably be a good addition, and would be handled correctly
by dpkg and friends...  Probably not worth rolling the potato package just
for this, but I'll try to remember to do this if I have to rev bind for some
other reason before potato ships.

Bdale