Re: Debdiff project announcement.

On Sat, 5 Feb 2000, Joey said:

> > > InfoWorld recently (along with many misquotes) pointed out that Debian
> > > (which is controlled by Corel) has put a lot of work into online updates. i
> >    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!
> >     I really, really hope that that the above underscored is one of
> > the many misquotes.  Someone needs to send them a polite letter if
> > they actually blankly said that.
> >     Actually, if what you wrote is true, someone probably needs to
> > send them a letter explaining things anyway.  If anything, Debian is
> > closer to controlling Corel's distribution than the other way around.
>
> Please dump us (=press@debian.org) a proper URL and we'll try to
> resolve this.

I don't believe that this is the same one, but it's just as bad or worse:

		http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/00/01/31/000131hnnewsbriefs.xml

the article here contains the following:

"Software maker Corel last week confirmed that it is battling a security hole in Corel Linux. The security hole
applies only to Corel Update, a GUI that Corel has put on top of<underline> the Debian distribution of Corel Linux</underline>, officials
said. <underline>The Debian distribution or version of Corel Linux</underline> is supported by a core of about 500 volunteer developers
and is distinct from others for its emphasis on online updates. <underline>If a customer is using a version of Corel Linux that is
strictly a Debian distribution,</underline> without the Corel Update GUI, the problem will not affect that customer, Corel
officials said. The hole lets users who have privileges to remotely log on to a server to replace the scripts running in
Corel Update with scripts they create themselves." (the underlines are mine)

Someone at Corel is distributing bad info, probably with the intent to make Corel seem like a real Linux company.  We need to not only investigate the source of this disinformation, but begin our own media campaign to set the record straight.  An appology to Debian from Corel will NOT inform the public of the truth.  IMHO, it is time for Debian developers and users to write articles about the disinformation spread in Infoworld and other news organs.  There may be no way of knowing if these are intentional propagandi or simple mistakes.  It does not matter, as the damage is the same.

-ptw

--==_Exmh_-17249179160

--==_Exmh_-17249179160

--==_Exmh_-17249179160