Re: WARNING: base-files in current potato nukes /var/spool/mail contents

On Sat, 5 Feb 2000, Michael Stone wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 05, 2000 at 04:20:57PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> > Please tell me what weird configuration do you have.
> > Maybe /var/spool/mail was a symlink to something else in your system
> > before the upgrade?
> >
> > [ This is currently not supported by policy, but I know a way to support
> >   it if there is a real need ].
>
> I'd support it regardless of his answer--mail is too important to take
> any chances.

I mostly agree, but for this very reason you should probably not replace
the /var/spool/mail directory by a symlink...

I will gladly add support for /var/spool/mail being a directory, but
before I add code which is not going to be used by anybody, I have first
to be sure that this is indeed the problem Remco found, and not another
one of a very different nature (for example, a bug in dpkg which makes it
to remove real directories).

Thanks.

--
 "7389cbeb6a7982b71ef50feb11a7f548" (a truly random sig)