Re: frozen libc6 wierdness

Package: libgtk1.2
Version: 1.2.6-1
Severity: important

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Seth R Arnold wrote:

> In any event, I rather like many of the packages apt suggested
> uninstalling, so I am not sure upgrading is really the right thing to
> do, but releasing potato in a state where the newest libc6 libraries
> conflict with so many useful packages, it just seems wrong.

It appears APT is unable to resolve the forced removal of gconv-modules
and the substitution of locales. Regrettably, I don't think this is
something APT is going to be able to do in the future at all, it is a
highly complicated.. The dependency relations look something like this:

              /-> gconv-modules -\
libgtk1.2 -> ??            ^      +-> (conflict) libc6
     |        \-> locales -| (conflict)            | (depend+conflict!)
     ----------------------------------------------+

Lots of nice circles and the bizzar use of | causes the paradoxical
depending and not-depending on libc6 simultaneously!

I think the primary way to fix this problem is to fix up the depends line
of libgtk1.2:

Depends: gconv-modules | libc6 (<< 2.1), libc6, libc6 (>= 2.1), libglib1.2
                         (>= 1.2.0), xlib6g (>= 3.3.4-1)
    Mentioning libc6 3 times is really, really lame and I think that the
    fact it is in the failing | group is the primary cause of this
    problem.

    Thus the identical depends line:
Depends: gconv-modules, libc6 (> 2.1), libglib1.2 (>= 1.2.0), xlib6g(>= 3.3.4-1)

    Should be used instead!

Ideally, to really stamp this out libgtk1.2 would directly depend on
locales (Joel??) for potato. However, I have a feeling just fixing that |
group will make it go away!

Any other packages that use the above rediculous construct should also be
fixed as well!!

This bug gets to be important for two primary reasons:
  1) Old APTs freak out when they see this in a really strange and scary
     way
  2) New APTs like to remove libgtk1.2 to solve the problem, thus nuking
     substantial amounts of gtk using packages in the process.

dselect users (at least on top of APT) will not see this problem
 *so long as they correctly select locales when prompted*!

Jason