Re: potato missing /dev's

On 30-Jan-00, 13:03 (CST), Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:
> Steve Greenland wrote:
> > devices in the current directory. I suppose there is some traditional
> > reason why this is so, but I'm very tempted to report a fatal bug
> > against it.
>
> Gah.
>
> Is there _anyone_ out there who has read the definitions of the bug tracking
> severities?

Yes, I have, and I use them correctly when I actually report bugs. This
was an offhand remark. Besides, "fatal" isn't a severity level.

Don't you think that the fact that MAKEDEV, when run outside of /dev (by
root, of course), creates the devices files in the current directory
is a severe design flaw? With not even an informational message along
the lines of "This may not be what you wanted"? Yes, I know that's what
it has always done, but if it were being implemented today, I doubt it
would be tolerated. "Important", at least. (Because the behavior is
historically accurate, if I were to report this, I'd actually do it as
wishlist.)

Steve

--
Steve Greenland <vmole@swbell.net>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read