Re: Scary bugs

Hi,

> On Sat, Jan 29, 2000 at 01:14:06PM -0800, Ryan Murray wrote:
> [..]
> >
> > As has been pointed out, we don't know that the user is ONLY using
> > hwclock to adjust their clock.  Most new-to-Linux users won't know that
> > hwclock is where all changes are supposed to happen.
>
> We all know that the main point is a lack of documentation. But, as I
> wrote in a previous mail, the problem at the moment is for potato
> to have a "reasonable" default. We can't make a good solution at the
> moment, the problem seems "simple" but is, actually, complex.
>
> What is needed --- for woody --- is now *work*. So IMHO, and this would be
> my last mail for the moment, the average solution for *potato* is to :
>
> 1) modify /etc/init.d/hwclock.sh so that the --adjust action is only set if
> $GMT is set to GMT;
I don't think it's a good idea to enable --adjust *at all* by default.
If I understand correctly, the problem is that --adjust doesn't like if
you abruptly change the time manually and then causes problems.

However, the DST time change is not necessarily the only abrupt change:
I have a computer with a badly broken HW clock, so I have to adjust the
clock almost every time I boot if the computer's been off for a few days.
Regularly, the time I set in BIOS is changed after bootup (only through
this discussion I realized why).

There may be other reasons to change the time, so I think --adjust should
never be on by default. IMHO it's a useful feature, but needs some knowledge
to be used correctly - so leave it to the user to activate it.

Sebastian Leske