Re: KDE: a plan how to solve that (No.2)

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Aigarius said:

> That's the programmers way for solving that.
> And this whould be the diplomatic way:
>
> 1. Convince KDE team that THEY want KDE to be in Debian.
> 2. Convince them to change the license to something like GPL.
> 3. Make KDE team convince k<foo> developer to change the license.
> 4. [Last Step] Join forces of Debian, KDE team and k<foo> developers and
> "attack" TrollTech to change their license to DSFG-compilant one.
> 5. And you are done!
>
> Just My 2 Cents -- JM2C.

This, IMHO, is the most ethical and logical posting about the KDE issue I've seen so far.  Also, IMHO, Debian is just fine without KDE.  I don't believe that there's as much demand for KDE (or Gnome for that matter) as there is hype.  With as many great window managers as there are, and tkDesk being as cool as is needed (without the ever present toolbar), Debian can be as patient as is neccessary with both the KDE and TrollTech.  Debian has a reputation for defending the gpl through action (and lack of it when required).  This should not change.  In this case it pays to be conservative.

-ptw