Re: why are files/directories owned by www-data !?

I may reply to the rest of the message (which has a number of
interesting ideas) later; for now I will just reply to this part:

    Ethan> I propose that /var/lib/dhelp be at the least chowned to
    Ethan> root, /var/www be chowned to root and chmoded to 2755.  and
    Ethan> all apache logs be chowned root.adm and chmoded
    Ethan> 640. (because passwords can be revealed if the user
    Ethan> accidently enters the passwd as the username)

I personally find it very difficult, if not impossible, to debug CGI
scripts with out access to at least error.log, as this is where STDERR
is redirected. Similarly, access to suexec_log often highlights silly
mistakes with incorrect permissions, etc.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>