why are files/directories owned by www-data !?

Hi,

I have noticed that /var www and /var/lib/dhelp are owned by www-data.www-data, why?

also all the httpd logs are owned by www-data and are world readable. they should be root.adm and 640 at a most IMO. on my old redhat box they were root.root 600.

[eb@plato eb]$ grep www-data /etc/apache/httpd.conf
User www-data
Group www-data
[eb@plato eb]$

since the web server is running as www-data if anyone breaks into it thus gaining www-data privileges they will be able to modify the web site if stored in /var/www, they can write to /var/lib/dhelp and can alter the logs to hide their attack!

If I recall correctly you are never supposed to have any files owned by the web server.

and it seems that /var/dhelp gets chowned back to www-data every time its upgraded...

what is the deal here?  am i missing something?

--
Ethan Benson
To obtain my PGP key: http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/pgp/