Re: Bulgarian additions to Debian

On 25.01.2000 at 07:29 -0500 Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 10:09:22PM +0200, Pavel Cholakov wrote:
> > Agreed. I have already contacted maintaners responsible for locales and
> > Xkb's - about a week ago. No response yet. Currently I've packaged:
>
> I believe I replied; if I didn't I'm sorry.  Yes, I'd like to integrate
> better support for Bulgarian locales into XFree86, but at this point it
> looks like a project for woody, not potato.

Yes, definiteli this i a project for woody.  With current Xlib any support
for Bulgarian will be nonstandard and incorrect.  This i becouse Xlib needs
to support another encoding, I mean cp1251.  Currently we cheat Xlib, that
our encoding is iso-8859-1 with the following line in the file locale.alias:

bg_BG.cp1251        en_US.ISO8859-1

In our keyboard definition we use symbols from iso-8859-1 insteed of
the proper Cyrillic-*.

> > console-bg - console keymaps and fonts (cp1251)
> > locale-bg  - locale bg_BG.cp1251
> > xfree86-bg-keyboard  - cp1251 Xkb keyboard
> > xfonts-cp1251-100dpi
> > xfonts-cp1251-75dpi
> > xfonts-cp1251-misc
> >
> > of which the first three could be merged into existing Debian packages:
> > console-data, locales and xlib6g respectively.
>
> Yes, I don't imagine there would be a problem adding keyboard definitions
> to the xlib6g package; I've done it before.

I think that it is better to not include nonstandard and incorect definiti-
on in the official X packages.  Let we make some package "user-bg" that
will contain all things that should be supported by other packages, but
are not supported.

> > On the other hand the fonts
> > are doubling some of the contents of xfont-cyrillic (Cronyx Helvetica and Times,
> > cp-1251, I think). Is that merger possible before the release of potato?
>
> Do you mean that some BDF fonts are literally duplicated, or simply that
> there are fonts that have the same basic function?

The problem with 'xfonts-cyrillic' is that it contains an old collection of
fonts.  I don't know how it is posible to include new fonts in the official
XFree distribution.  May be it is easier to make a package that provides
and conflicts with 'xfonts-cyrillic'.

This package contains fonts in koi8-r encoding that is used mostly in Russia.
We should ask in debian-russian about wolunteer to be maintainer of the pack-
age with cyrrilic fonts in koi8-r.  If there isn't volunteer we can make the
package ourselves with assistance of the members of debian-russian.

Regards, Anton Zinoviev <anton@lml.bas.bg>