ifconfig vs. ip

Hello ..
  I'm not sure if this was brought up before .. but it looks as though with
the upcoming 2.4 version of the kernel, 'ifconfig' is going (or has pretty
much already gone) the way of the dinosaur ..

  For the network setup stuff in Debian (/etc/init.d/network), will the
ifconfig/route commands be replaced with 'ip' commands?

  I'm using a 2.2 kernel (2.2.13), and the ip command works fine (so setting
it in place before 2.4 comes out would work..)

-Terry