Re: Potato "testing"

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Kenneth Scharf wrote:

[Only replying to the bits I know something about]

> Unlike under RedHat (I hate to keep comparing Debian
> to Redhat but at least in the xwindow setup they seem
> to have done it right!) installing the gnome packages
> doesn't create a default setup that starts the gnome
> desktop.  I have not yet found the documentation on
> how to configure my xsession to start a gnome desktop
> that looks somewhat like the redhat one (not that I
> would keep the redhat defaults, but it's a starting
> place).

Hmm.  Don't know what happened there.  Last I looked, the default Xsession
was a gnome one.  Now it isn't.  X team?

> Finally I installed apt-gnome.  Since I can't log in
> as root under xdm I had to disable xdm and startx from
> a root console login to use it!  Apt-gnome is cool!
> Somewhat of a clone of rpm-gnome I suppose (or they
> are a clone of apt-gnome).  Only apt-gnome is more
> usefull.  I would suggest allowing the detail panel on
> the left to be adjustable in width because it crowds
> out the important package list graphic on the right.
> At least I can size the columns in the package list
> graphic, and choose which ones I don't need to see.

You're not supposed to log in to xdm as root. Running all your X utilities
as root is asking for trouble - it's running a lot of programs which
aren't traditionally security audited with privileged access.

Log in as your self, su, and then run

HOME=/home/ken /path/to/apt-gnome

or similar. (Similarly for any root-requiring X program).

> I don't know if my observations are bug reports, or If
> I am guilty of finding some documentation someplace.
> However I will continue to report what I see as I
> build up my Potato system with packages similar to
> what I had under slink.

Report away, I say.