Potato "testing"

The other day I installed xdm, xbanner,
task-gnome-desktop, gnome-utils enlightenment and
sawmill.

"Problems" with xdm and xbanner: I don't see the
pretty rainbow backdrop and Debian logo as I did under
slink.  Also I can't log on as root under xdm (which I
could under slink).  If the root login requires
modifing a config file, which one?  Also after
restart the login screen which it did (almost always)
under slink.

Enlightenment was not added to the list of
windowmanagers available by the install script,
however sawmill was.  However when I tried to switch
to sawmill all I get is a colored screen, mouse clicks
do nothing.

Unlike under RedHat (I hate to keep comparing Debian
to Redhat but at least in the xwindow setup they seem
to have done it right!) installing the gnome packages
doesn't create a default setup that starts the gnome
desktop.  I have not yet found the documentation on
how to configure my xsession to start a gnome desktop
that looks somewhat like the redhat one (not that I
would keep the redhat defaults, but it's a starting
place).

Finally I installed apt-gnome.  Since I can't log in
as root under xdm I had to disable xdm and startx from
a root console login to use it!  Apt-gnome is cool!
Somewhat of a clone of rpm-gnome I suppose (or they
are a clone of apt-gnome).  Only apt-gnome is more
usefull.  I would suggest allowing the detail panel on
the left to be adjustable in width because it crowds
out the important package list graphic on the right.
At least I can size the columns in the package list
graphic, and choose which ones I don't need to see.

I don't know if my observations are bug reports, or If
I am guilty of finding some documentation someplace.
However I will continue to report what I see as I
build up my Potato system with packages similar to
what I had under slink.

=====
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!

http://www.qsl.net/wa2mze