Re: KDE not in Debian?

[ This should be on debian-legal ]

[ Do not CC me ]

On Wed, Jan 19, 2000 at 02:05:11PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> Unfortunately, copyright issues are seldom obvious. I can understand how you
> might get the impression that it is legal, especially because everyone does
> say so and even does it (including KDE, but their position as the copyright
> holder is special). But that does not mean that it really is legal.

> Only reading the respective copyrights and interpreting what they
> say is giving results you can build on. And you have to do just that
> to understand why Debian is not distributing KDE binaries.

In these cases where there are grey areas, I wouldn't really trust our
opinions to be all that valid.  Just as we might not trust a lawyer's
advice on how to implement a technical issue, maybe we should consider
having a lawyer looking at something that falls under their area of
expertise before we go off half-cocked.

Just my opinion,
--
  David N. Welton -+- davidw@prosa.it -+- http://www.efn.org/~davidw