Re: /etc/profile should include sbin in PATH

On 17 Jan 2000, Brian May wrote:
> In all of this discussion, can somebody please tell me why
> login is in /bin/login?
>
> What user/system-administrator/whatever would want to manually
> run login?

Real world example, from back when I used to do dialup:

I am dialed up to a shell account, of which I have several on
this host.  The host has a limited modem pool.  I want to easily
switch from one account to another without nesting a bunch of
shells (or nesting instances of su).  I simply "exec login" from
my current shell, replacing my old login shell with a new login
shell.  I can then login as a different user.  I can do this
as many times as I want during my dialup session without losing
my modem and having to go back into the dialup queue.

Ben