Re: US Encryption Policy Change Now Official!

On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 09:50:49AM -0700, Bear Giles wrote:
> I think that's what the ham radio licenses are intended to address.
> Operating a ham station without a license is a criminal act.  Some
> licenses require special software to operate, and this software has
> no use other than operation of a specific type of ham station.  Therefore
> anyone using the software must be planning to operate a ham station.
> Therefore knowingly providing the software to someone without a
> suitable license is aiding the commission of a crime.

This is a possible explanation. My own understanding (as a ham
and regular user of software with such a license) is that usually
the author is happy for hams to have the software for free but would
not like the software to be used for free by military or commercial
users -- either because the author doesn't like those users, or
because he wants their money.

Hamish