Re: Translations of GPL

On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 11:56:26AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> in the process of internationalisation I wonder if there should be
> translations of the (L)GPL.  I know that valid translations are
> a hard topic, but in my opinion we exclude people which doesn't
> understand from a legal use.

GNU has some inofficial translations on the web page.

> The background of this iedea was that I'd like to ship a German
> fortune cookie database with a GPL in German language.  Someone
> told me that this is not valid, at least it is not THE GPL.

Indeed. And it would be questionable if a translation of the GPL would be
GPL compatible. It would at least be very expensive (lawyer wise) to verify
this.

> In my opinion a German cookie database makes only sense for people
> who understand a German license and not necessarily have to understand
> an English one.

Yes, but here you have to also look at the higher goal of world domination
;)

> How to cope with that fact, which could occure in several other
> cases?

I think it is best to stick with known licenses, not with variations of them
(and translations are variations).

Thanks,
Marcus