Re: tasks

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Michael Stone wrote:

> OTOH, uw imapd is a security nightmare that comes back to bite another
> popular distribution with a new remote root exploit every six months or
> so.

Could you back this allegation up with some facts?  A _long_ time ago
there was a notorious root exploit which as the bane of Red Hat users
everywhere but the Debian package was immune.  (This was back when Dwarf
maintained it I believe.)  Since I took over the only security problem
I've had to fix was an exploit in ipop2d.

So if there are all these hideous security holes, I'd really like to know.

 I wouldn't allow it anywhere near one of my servers, and think that
> making it more prominant in debian is a horrible idea.

Well bully for you.  What are you suggesting as an alternative?

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>