Re: policy summary (new packages without man pages)

On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 11:32:33AM +0000, Owen Dunn wrote:
> As I've understood it, the only thing that has really been required in
> the past of a maintainer (beyond any initial packaging) is to act as a
> clearing house for bug reports and feature requests.

And that is a mistake. It leads to too many un- and under-maintained
junk packages which it is difficult to fix or remove.

> Many people working on Debian are students and have lots of time; some
> of them (and God only knows how) have the time actively to maintain
> many packages and still keep up with the mailing lists.  Many, though,
> have full-time jobs, copious other interests, a bevy of other free
> software projects, and so on, and weeks may go by where they are
> genuinely too busy with other things to contribute to Debian.  If you
> feel that's a lack of commitment and that they shouldn't be
> maintaining packages, I disagree.

And I disagree with you. If a person is overloaded at some point, he
should relinquish the package, at least temporarily. I see no benefit in
remaining a chokepoint soley to retain the "maintainer" label. Even
without a bevy of packages with his name on them, he can retain
developer status and engage in bug fixing and NMUing *when he has time.*
The difference is that a busy maintainer often prevents anyone from
working on the package in a timely fashion, whereas a busy developer
doing NMU's as time permits interferes with no one.

--
Mike Stone