Re: Prepackaged kernels in Potato not configured for DHCP

I just spent some time with working with dhcpcd and dhcp-client.

dhcp-client is way better than dhcpcd.

Why:

1> dhcpcd and dhcp (server) do not play well together (dhcp will answer
the dhcpcd request, so the computer assigned itself an ip address)

dhcp-client and dhcp work fine together

2> dhcp-client has an easier to use "hook" (execute program to do extra
config on a new lease)  instead of editing /etc/init.d/dhcpcd, create
/etc/dhclient-enter-hooks and/or /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks

3> dhcp-client has a cleaner configuration (instead of editing
/etc/init.d/dhcpcd, edit /etc/dhclient.conf)

4> dhcp-client can be configured with "fixed-address" leases.  So, if
you have a computer that moves between different networks, some with
DHCP and some without, dhcp-client can handle it.

I have a laptop, and I can move it to any of my three networks that
don't have DHCP, or any network that does, with no further config
change needed.  I think this is really sweet.

dhcp-client has one downside: the kernel needs to be compiled with
CONFIG_PACKET and CONFIG_FILTER, which the default Debian kernel is
not.

Someone else has already filed a wishlist bug (53105) against the
kernel package asking for the kernel to be compiled with these options
on by default.

Cheers!
Eric