Re: Build-Depends

Please Cc: me on reply, I do not read -devel anymore...
CCing Roman here, since he built most of this stuff, I built nothing, I am
just using it... (didnt I say so?)

On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 03:13:39PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> > Here is a link to a file hat I am using for autobuilding:
> >
> >  http://buildd.debian.org/andrea/m68k/source-dependencies-unstable.gz
>
> Very useful, but should not be relied on completly. For example, it has this
> for aalib:
we do rely on it, unless your package provides Build-Depends. How else shall
a porter know what a package needs to build?

> aalib: ACL, libgpmg1-dev (>= 1.14-3), slang1-dev (>> 1.3.0-0),
>        libncurses5-dev (>= 4.2-3.1)
>
> Where ACL stands for autoconf, m4, libtool. However, the build-depends line
> I have arrived at is:
>
> Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 1.1.17), slang1-dev, xlib6g-dev,
>                libncurses4-dev, libgpmg1-dev, autoconf, libtool
>
> Autconf depend on m4, so it need not be listed. It does use debhelper,
> moreover, it uses some specific features only present in newer versions. It
> should be built with X support.
If your package provides Build-Depends, it overrides source-dependencies.
The source-dependencies just list what the porters and buildd maintainers
have found out themselves what is (or once was) needed to build a package.
Once a dependency is added, it is rarely removed again, because we are
interested in porting packages fast and not with the minimum use of
installed packages.
As for debhelper, it is probably installed on every buildd machine, so it is
virtual essential, thus was never missing during a build and had not been
automatically added to the list. The buildds did not write the essential
list, they just build packages...

> I have no idea if I am doing something wrong by not having versioned
> build-depends on the -dev packages. I think it should work with most
> versions of these packages, since aalib has not changed for about 3 years now.
History... I guess the package had problems when being built with older
versions of these libs, maybe its not needed anymore. But maybe its needed
when building for stable (you may have noted that source-dependencies lists
also exist for stable and frozen, when frozen exists).
If you think the source-dependencies list is wrong somewhere, tell Roman.
But if you use Build-Depends, it should not matter much, once all packages
use build-depends, the source-dependencies list can be removed...

Christian
PS sorry Roman for all those CCs, I hope we can set this straight here and
now, so that we do not have to report any Build-Depends bugs anymore. A
little more work now, but much less work later...