Re: unnecessary X fonts directory remains ?

[Please be careful with follow-ups to the lists.]

On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 04:33:32PM +0900, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I encountered some problems with xfs-xtt and checked
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ a bit.  Then I found that there is
> almost empty directories in that directory, for example,
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/chinese with only fonts.{alias,dir}.

Hmm, yeah.  Thanks for pointing that out, I had not thought of it before.

I guess what needs to happen is, I need to add brains to update-fonts-alias
to sense an empty font dir and thus not write a fonts.alias file.

As for mkfontdir, it is an upstream tool, but needs 2 modifications made to
work in a way that would be ideal for Debian:
  1) an option to turn off unlinking before writing
  2) an option to not write anything if there is nothing to write

An empty fonts.dir files is 2 bytes long:

0000000   0  \n
0000002

There is currently a big X font policy proposal under discussion in
debian-policy.  I need to amend it to address the issue you raise.

In the meantime, one of xfonts-intl-chinese's maintainer scripts (preinst
seems like a good candidate), should go hunting for its old directory and
remove it and its contents.  As long as nothing else ever used that
directory, this is a risk-free operation.

if [ -d /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/chinese ]; then
  rm -r /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/chinese
fi

(I know rm -rf is simpler, but rm -rf plus a typo can cause you a heart
attack; the above at least saves you if your typo target exists and is not a
directory.)

> Is there any smart method to treat this situation well or
> is it unavoidable ???

It is not unavoidable.  The tools for updating font directories just need
to be made a little smarter, that is all, and I will get to work on that.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |      "I came, I saw, she conquered."  The
Debian GNU/Linux               |      original Latin seems to have been