Re: creating binary modules

On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 18:29:44 +0000 (+0000), Adrian Bridgett wrote:
[snip]
> Now there is only one thing left - how to create the binary driver so that
> it can be used "out of the box" (assuming people are using the standard
> potato kernel).

Just trying to search through my (outdated) /var/lib/dpkg/available, we
don't appear to have a consistent view of things in terms of which kernels
we support out of the box [1].

I see two ways to get binary modules in sync:
  a) kernel-image maintainers grab the "*-module-source" packages, untar the
     supplied /usr/src/* tarballs, run make-kpkg ... modules_image, and then
     upload the results
  b) the "*-modules-source" maintainers grab kernel-source-*, untar that and
     /usr/src/<their-module>" tarballs, run make-kpkg ... modules_image, and
     then upload the results.
  c) something else

Points for a)
  + only one person does work
  - kernel-image person has to build binary modules for other maintainers
Points for b)
  - module maintainers have to download kernel-source (~12MB)
  - module maintainers may not have easy access to box

In both cases, there is the difficult of keeping things up-to-date - for a)
the kernel-image maintainers have to watch for new versions of every
*-module-source package; for b) every *-module-source maintainer has to
watch out for new versions of kernel-image-*. [2]

I appreciate that Sparc may want to use a different kernel from x86, so I
was wondering how the binary kernel-image maintainers felt about a)?

NB: For c) I was thinking of something like an autobuilder which looks for
new versions of the packages - this would avoid problem [2].

Cheers

Adrian

[1]:
pcmcia-modules-2.0.35
pcmcia-modules-2.0.36
pcmcia-modules-2.2.1
pcmcia-modules-2.2.5
pcmcia-modules-2.2.7
pcmcia-modules-2.2.9
pcmcia-modules-2.2.10
pcmcia-modules-2.2.12
pcmcia-modules-2.2.13

kernel-image-2.0.36
kernel-image-2.2.10
kernel-image-2.2.12
kernel-image-2.2.13

kernel-doc-2.0.36
kernel-doc-2.2.10
kernel-doc-2.2.12
kernel-doc-2.2.13

kernel-source-2.0.36
kernel-source-2.2.10
kernel-source-2.2.12
kernel-source-2.2.13

kernel-headers-2.2.13

alsa-modules-2.2.12
alsa-modules-2.2.13

ibcs-2.0.35

email: adrian.bridgett@iname.com,    http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Debian GNU/Linux  -*-   because I'm allergic to Prozac   -*-  www.debian.org