Re: Debian Weekly News - January 4th, 2000

On Tue 04 Jan 2000, Joey Hess wrote:

> Everyone's probably sick of Y2K by now, but a final wrap-up is in
> order. Debian survived with no major problems. Several more
> Y2K-related bugs were found in packages including [8]ntpdate,
> [9]sendfile, [10]webalizer, [11]birthday, [12]cbb, [13]pilot-manager,
> [14]slrn, [15]xinetd, [16]http-analyze, and [17]hyperlatex. These bugs
> are rapidly being fixed, and tend to be minor.

Also isdnutils. Isdnlog, when interpreting the date/time received from
the telco's exchange, complains about an invalid date. At least, on
i386 it does... on alpha, with 64-bit time_t, it happily accepted the
year was in fact 1900. The problem is that only 2 digits are passed for
the year. There was a check for this of the "if (year < 70)" variety,
unfortunately this was only within the 1TR6 branch, and hence not for
EDSS1 (the most used form of ISDN).

The problem was limited to the message "INVALID date" and the system
time not being adjusted (on i386).  My alpha jumped to 1900...  The
good news there is that debian/alpha happily runs in the year 1900 :-)

Alpha and i386 packages have been installed into the ftp archive for
potato.  I'm working on getting a slink version out.

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/
work:       paul@murphy.nl       http://www.murphy.nl/