Re: concensus on removing TeX and Emacs from standard

On Sat, Jan 01, 2000 at 11:31:56AM +0200, Shaul Karl wrote:
> 2) Tex in particular might be trouble some when non English speaking
> users are concerned. I for example, have still unfamiliar of how
> to use it with Hebrew and its problematic support of Hebrew is
> one of the reasons that I am postponing my intent to learn how
> to use Latex.

Quite the contrary, the internationalization in TeX is quite amazing indeed.
European (Western and Eastern) are all covered; Cyrillic; Arabic and Hebrew
(Did you install "arabtex"?), Chinese, Japanese, Korean (cjk-latex and other
similar packages), etc. etc.  And all of these can appear together in one
document too, and that is something that Microsoft Word can only begin to do
rather recently (Word 97?)  It still need work, but definitely TeX (and later
on Omega with Unicode support) is one of the best in terms of
internationalization.

> i18n is also a reason why emacs is not so suited for non English speaking
> users. Some editors support i18n better, perhaps because those editors are
> small enough so that creating support for other languages can be made more
> easily. Actually, as far as I know X also has problems with i18n. And what
> I am thinking is about are hebrew fonts - although there are some it seems
> to me that we tend to use ones from other systems. has problem with i18n.

Well, again, the i18n support in GNU Emacs and XEmacs has become rather
mature.  Yes, you can type Chinese, Japanese, Korean, English, Hindu, etc.
etc. in Emacs already.  I am not sure about right-to-left scripts like
Hebrew and Arabic, but I think they are supported quite well too.  Still
need works, but just a case in point: Emacs (esp. with MULE extension) is
highly developed and used by Japanese users.

Cheers,

Anthony Fok
Debian Chinese Project, http://www.debian.org/chinese/

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada