Re: concensus on removing TeX and Emacs from standard

On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 09:19:25AM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 01, 2000 at 08:04:43PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > "base" is going to be dropped,
>
> huh? why is base going to be dropped? when was this decided?

I am not sure it is decided, but it was my impression that a consensus
existed on the -devel list (or was it -policy?).

> the base directory provides a convenient way of upgrading a fresh base
> install of slink to a base potato install - just cd to the potato
> directory and use 'dpkg -i' to install the required packages.

Well, okay, but the base section is not what comes in the base package, and
does not serve a technical purpose. And I think if this is the only reason
... ;)

> 'apt-get dist-upgrade' or 'apt-get dselect-upgrade' wants to install way
> too much stuff at that point.
>
> of course if dropping base is a necessary and good thing, then a new
> "base-upgrade" option could be written for apt-get - it should only
> upgrade installed Essential packages. in fact, that's probably a good
> idea anyway :)

yes, sounds like a very good idea. Care to file a wishlist bug?

Thanks,
Marcus