readline4, ncurses5, and xterm

On Sun, Jan 02, 2000 at 01:04:28PM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Joel Klecker writes:
>  > >I have put a libreadline4 into http://master.debian.org/~doko/bash-rl
>  > >If you do move ncurses into Incoming, then please move these files
>  > >there too. If you do not upload ncurses5 this Sunday, I will recompile
>  > >it for libncurses4.2 and upload it to Incoming.
>  >
>  > I uploaded ncurses5 on friday for sparc, which was installed today. Today I
>  > uploaded ncurses5 for i386, so I went ahead and copied the readline files
>  > into incoming (also uploading a sparc build).
>
> Thanks. But I still have the problem that ncurses-base is to be
> removed (together with xterm). Does the X maintainer already know about?

Yes.  I need to revise the policy proposal I just made in light of this
information.  3.3.6 should be own Real Soon Now, and when I release that I
will remove xterm's dependency on ncurses-base.

Since the new ncurses5 packages provide the functionality that xterm is
looking for, you should be able to force the removal of ncurses-base and
xterm will still work.  I realize this won't make apt very happy.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |    The errors of great men are venerable
Debian GNU/Linux               |    because they are more fruitful than the