/usr/share/zoneinfo/localtime !?

I found that Netscape sends messages with the timestamps in GMT/UTC instead
of the local time zone if /usr/share/zoneinfo/localtime is not a symlink to
/etc/localtime.

Is this _supposed_ to be a symlink, and if so, what program is responsible
for making it that way? I want to file a bug, but I'm not sure which program
is buggy -- netscape for requiring /usr/share/zoneinfo/localtime, the C
library perhaps, or some intermediary setup script that forgot to make the
symlink.

GNU date, asclock, and most other programs work fine without the symlink.

Please Cc: me, I don't subscribe to debian-devel.

--
Brian Ristuccia
brianr@osiris.978.org